Black Men in White Coats: Building Diverse Health Care Professionals
Baptist Memorial Health Care is hosting the Black Men in White Coats event for students in middle school, high school and college.
Date: Saturday, April 9, 2022
Time: 9:30 A.M.–2:00 P.M. (Lunch will be provided)
Deadline to Register: Wednesday, April 6 at Noon (Participation is free, but space is limited and registration may close early.)
Location: Baptist Health Sciences University Campus, Dudley Building Auditorium, 20 Dudley Street, Memphis, TN 38104 (free parking is available in the Dudley Parking Garage across the street on Monroe Ave.)
The Black Men in White Coats Video Series and mentoring program was started by Dr. Dale Okorodudu in collaboration with Duke University School of Medicine to inspire underrepresented minority students to consider medical careers and to increase ethnic and socioeconomic diversity in the field of medicine. Baptist has expanded the program to help develop minority youth who have an interest in the pursuit of health care careers in medicine and health care support careers.
Who should attend?
Middle school, high school and college students interested in pursuing health care careers as physicians, pharmacists and respiratory therapists or in support roles, such as IT, marketing, legal, human resources, etc.
- A viewing and discussion of the Black Men in White Coats: The Movie (see movie trailer below)
- Lunch and panel discussion with Baptist’s health care professionals and Baptist Health Sciences University faculty
- An introduction to BHSU HealthCORE, Baptist's community outreach and mentoring program
- Information on future mentoring opportunities and community groups
- A guided tour of the Baptist Health Sciences University campus
- An opportunity to connect with health care professionals in person
We ask that you adhere to Tennessee's COVID-19 event guidelines for this in-person event, which is free.
Watch a recap of Baptist’s 2018 Black Men in White Coats Summit:
Watch the trailer for the Black Men in White Coats movie: